Jeremiah School 2008
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeremiah School 2008

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people; that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvellous light

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Psalm 1 (27/10/08)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kenk3n
Admin

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Empty
PostSubject: Psalm 1 (27/10/08)   Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 9:26 am

From HonHon

The passage starts with an encouraging introduction that commends a person who remains righteous despite of the wicked surroundings. Blessed, according to the NIV Study Bible, means the happy condition of thse who revere the LORD and do his will and who put their trust in him. On the other hand, Good News Bible uses the word "happy" instead. Well, those who are abide in the LORD are undoubtly joyful! Also, those who delight in God's law are "planted by streams of water". Therefore, whatever he does, he will prosper and succeed. This reminds me of Matthew 6:33-Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and these things will be added to you.

As for the wicked, the Psalmist used these words to describe them. Chaff in NIV, worthless chaff and GNB, straw. All these show the weakness and frailty of the evil people. They are "scattered by the wind". Chaff are buirnt as well. In Luke 3:17, John the Baptist told the people near Jordan river about Jesus that he has his winnowing shovel to thresh out all the grain and gather the wheat(the righteous) into his barn (heaven ) but he will burn the chaff (the wicked) in a fire that never goes out (lake of burning sulphur)"

The message is simple. Those who follow God will prosper while those who do not will have to face the music. For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish (verse 6).
Back to top Go down
http://kenk3n.wordpress.com
kenk3n
Admin

Number of posts : 212

Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Psalm 1 (27/10/08)   Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 9:28 am

Mine will be a more personal sharing.

Memorized this Psalm in MYF camp before. I don’t know whether God speaks to me but verse2 hits me.

“His delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.”

What cherishes God is when I do the things according to His will. I have not been going to Him for a very long time and my walk just worsens. There was a time when I felt like giving up. However, there is something holding me on. I do not know what the something is. I’m just glad that I can go to Him in QT again after so long. It is also said that God watches over the way of the righteous. This assures me that He will lead and guide me when I’m following him not as a follower or believer but a DISCIPLE! All this while, I think my faith is not as deep as people think. I prayed good prayers last time but I couldn’t pray properly to myself when I stopped my walk with Him. My spiritual life is in a very dark situation. I just want to pray like how I used to be. I know it’s only by being faithful in Him; I can do a lot of things. My prayer life will never be the same because I’m more mature one step ahead.
Back to top Go down
http://kenk3n.wordpress.com
MeL de small gurl
Brothers

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Psalm 1 (27/10/08)   Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 9:54 pm

Hey ppl... Smile
I'm a bit green at using this forum thingy...so CC, so sorry if i seem to not follow ur instructions bout where to post wad...i juz see..oh..there's a relevant topic here....so i juz post here ya...

So...i got up this morning and read a msg...sent to me at 1 this morning...kindly tell me whose number it is...014-....sry ppl..all contacts kena delete when i took phone to repair...

Reading the msg made me think of u guys and our JS moments beggining of this yr..miss u ppl!

Psalm 1 . According to the intro of the study bible, the book of Psalms is divided into many books, this being Book 1.
Psalm 1 evokes instructions of Torah [Law] and Hokmah [Wisdom], and thus the psalter must be read in the context of the rest of the OT canon.
i dun really understand the second part...
BUT what i DO understand is the passage is telling us that we will be blessed if we follow God's law and flee from temptation. The psalter tells us of desirable outcomes for those who obey and the opposite for those who do not.

How it applied to me....
I thought about how hard it is not to sin...how temptation often comes in the form of fun or...'everybody's doing it' that it becomes a norm.. Rolling Eyes
Before you know it, you've just done something that you know very well, you're not supposed to do....... Twisted Evil

This reminded me about all those times i have been invited to clubs and late night parties....its not sin in itself but i know those are places where sin is often inevitable and i should refrain from it. Also, many accidents that occur on the road late at night are usually due to drunk people drunken who drive , who cause other innocent people harm, and I've seen friends getting drunk before and it ain't pretty!

Guess this kind of applies to the last part of the psalm which says: For the LORD watches over the ways of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
If you flee from temptation Suspect , He will always be there to protect you as you have made the right choice.

Jesus Loves you all !

Always keeping you guys in thought and prayer,
Stay HOT sunny & COOL rendeer ...
[Hon stay slim =P]... tongue

I love you MeL...
Back to top Go down
lowenwei
Brothers

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-08

Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Psalm 1 (27/10/08)   Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 8:33 am

I actually did earlier

well, only psalm 1:1 speaks to me

there will be this Halloween party going on this 31st Oct. At 1st I wanted to go coz I've friends going and sort of like I wanna fit in. Yeah... I'm still sort of in the outside group...

Then I remembered an incident:
Bout 1 month ago, my father was invited to a dinner not knowing what was it for. When we arrived there only we realized it was for the hungry ghost festival. We din go in the end. My father said that what would they think if we Christians were to go to these type of events. Coz we Christian sort of live under a microscope and we gotta make a stand.

So my stand was not to go to the party. (It is a hefty price to go anyway with free gifts included.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.mylifemyblogg.blogspot.com
SheepZ
Brothers

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Psalm 1   Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:54 am

wow..really mis QTing wif u guys.

well...from wad Mel says n from wad I understand if Psalm 1 refers to Law and de 2nd part of verse 2 to says "...and on his law he meditates day and night". and if the Bible is sort of God's Law den it made me wonder about dose days wen I did not do my QT or do it properly then m I delighted wif wad i haf accomplished? Am I satisfied wif wad I haf done???

But wen I read verse 1 "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the ways of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers".I feel grateful that at times there was jz moments where I felt like giving in or giving up, the number of times that God's grace had safed me from sinning or making others sin or " winning the arguement and losing a friend".There were times wen i caught myself n i thank Him for dat.U noe how i can be wif my jokes n lameness.haha.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com
Wendee
Brothers
Wendee

Number of posts : 115

Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Psalm 1 (27/10/08)   Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 6:18 am

Okay... sorry for a very late sharing.

What hit me the most about this psalm is God promises to watch over the way of the righteous and the way of the wicked will not prevail. I've definitely experienced more things of the world ever since I started college. Many people from different background, with different views and values. Sometimes their ways are not the right ways and sometimes their ways frustrate me. I mean, people gossip and if it's true, then it's at least more acceptable. But when's the gossip's false... it gets to me.

When I read this psalm, I know that God is saying that He'll watch over my way and things that are wicked and malicious will be destroyed.

So yeah, be righteous above all. If you retaliate with the same manner, it makes you no different. But We are of a different spirit, so we react differently, not conforming to the ways of the world.

Amen!
Back to top Go down
http://what-about-wendee.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Psalm 1 (27/10/08)   Psalm 1 (27/10/08) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Psalm 1 (27/10/08)
Page 1 of 1